Monday, February 18, 2013

I'm back.

This past week has been my biggest hurdle to over come since I have started running. Not only was I having issues with my ankle, but I've also had a lot of shit going on in my personal and work life. Heavy stuff that has been weighing on my heart and mind. Before tonight, the last time I ran was Monday. After that, all I wanted to do was run. Not just for my physical well being, but mostly to get my head straight. But I didn't/couldn't. By the end of the week I was bursting into tears unexpectedly, as well as drinking and eating too much. And my body felt like crap. And I realized this is the point I quit. I saw myself slipping the same way i always do before i just call it a loss. I was bummed because my first 5k was in a week and I knew if I wasn't able to run it would be the beginning of the end. And I would slowly fall off the wagon and never get back on.

But on Friday night, I talked to my brother on the phone. And it was a nice surprise considering we only text and never talk on the phone. And even though there is all this other crazy, horrible shit going on in our lives, we also talked about running. And he encouraged me to keep going. He reminded me that this is not about anyone but me. And then today, I woke up to a text from my mom. It said, "you need to try to run again today. Don't give up :)". And then on her Facebook she posted this quote, "the only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it". And that phone call, that text, and that Facebook status is all I needed. And I'm really thankful for my brother and my mother who ultimately realize how important running has become to me in this short amount of time.

So today, I went to Walgreens and got a $20 ankle brace and hoped for the best. And I went running once I got home. And i did mile 1. No pain. I got to mile 2. No pain. By the end of mile 3 I was all smiles. And no pain (and when I say no pain, I'm referring to my ankle. There's obvs some natural pain the comes along with running 3.1 miles. At least for me). I did 3.11 miles in 35 minutes and 10 seconds.

I feel the need to point out that is personal best for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment